Opening hours are different in Crete, mainly because of the siesta which is approximately from 2.00pm and 5.30pm.
* Banks and offices close at 2.00pm.
* Supermarkets open from 8.00am until 8.00pm in winter and 9.00pm during the summer on Saturday they close at 6.00pm.
* Shops open around 9.00am and close around 1.30pm-2.00pm Monday to Saturday and on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday they open
again from 5.30pm-6.00pm to 9.00pm. (all year round)
* Local shops in the villages outside of Chania are basically "open all hours" a bit like our corner shops.
* In summer the tourist shops, bars and tavernas are open all day the shops will close at around 11.00pm and the bars and tavernas
late into the night, in winter of course there is very little in the way of entertainment as the majority are closed.
Shopping in Crete – Supermarkets
Suggested shops for shopping in Crete - There are three main supermarkets in the Chania area:
* INKA is a Greek chain of supermarkets with a wide range of local and imported products at a competetive prices. The shops are well laid out and easy to find specific items, but they are often a little understaffed and chaotic at the till.
* Champion formerly an Athens company Marinopoulos and now part of the French supermarkets chain Champion. They carry a good selection of local and imported products, their own-brand products can be cheap. The delicatessent is very impressive with a large selection of produce. A special counter offers fresh spit roasted chicken and a variety of ready food. There are always some special offers on electrical and household goods. Champion supermarkets have the advantage of large car parking areas.
* LIDL there are two on the outskirts of Chania with good car parking space. The LIDL supermarkets have their standard range of products plus local Cretan produce.